[DECtalk] How to make Dolphin Orpheus Sing

Alfredo's Macbook Pro PC birdlover2002 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 5 05:42:29 EDT 2013

Hello,
Based on some inquires I placed on Twitter, someone was able to point me
to the right direction. Naturally since I was interested I looked into
how you could make it sing. If you can remember me showing you how to
make eloquence sing using the reversed prime and the subscript 0, this
one requires the double left angle bracket and the double right angle
bracket, as will be demonstrated in the example song. I have not yet
figured out how to establish inflections yet, but spacing and using a
single-line text box matters. You will also need the latest version of
Super Nova, which uses the SAM drivers. This will not work with any
other screen reader or with SAPI. The parameters are SAM-specific, not
SAPI-specific, just like the symbols used for JAWS on Eloquence are
meant for a type of driver that controls the speech synthesiser. Though
I heard you could manipulate NVDA to do the same thing.
Anyhow, here it goes. So, if you go to install Super Nova and get that
done, go to c:\programme files\dolphin\sam\Orpheus\dolphin.text. for you
64-bit uses, add (x86) to the end of the first path. Read the directions
on the function and value. Example, pitches function corresponds to 1,
and the value can be between 50-500 I hertz. So you would put this in
between the brackets, @<1=100> and then whatever you wanted to say.
Below is a brief example I managed to put together. Note that if you
want to go further like Patrick did, you will have to learn about the
theory of temperament and possibly do some pitch correction so that if
you do more than one voice, you have them equally tempered. Please do
not hesitate to ask any questions.
Dolphin Orpheus
«@<0=300>@<1=71>@<11=0>@<12=0> When @<1=74> all @<1=66> the
@<0=200>@<1=71> world @<1=62> is @<1=66> a @<0=150>@<1=68> hopeless jum
@<1=71> boal,» Oh and one thing. If you want to record your speech
product use something like Virtual Audio Cable or a Stereo Mix so you
can edit them.
Enjoy!
_Alfredo