[DECtalk] User dictionaries for Speak windows

Alex H. linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com
Wed May 18 10:56:46 EDT 2011

Hi Corine,

On 5/18/11, Corine Bickley <corine.bickley at gallaudet.edu> wrote:
> When we're ready to release 4.3, Snoopi and I will make the changes to
> the dictionary that relate to common words in general use and that
> most people request. We will not enter names and specific
> pronunciations that might reflect a specific dialect or style of
> speech.

Sounds like a plan, just some generalized pronunciation rules for
various words etc.

> Once we have completed that task, then Enable will later offer a
> service of creating specialized dictionaries for specific individuals
> who want pronunciations customized for their own use, such as names.
> Snoopi will be in charge of that work, and we'll offer batches of
> customized dictionary entries for a small price.
>
> Only the first set of general corrections will be free with the
> product. Perhaps it would be useful to post a list of the words that
> seem most necessary to correct before we release the product. What do
> you think?

That's all fine, but would it be possible to have advanced users
/users who know the phonemes and stresses add their own dictionary
entries after they purchase the product? I really wouldn't want to pay
extra for something that I'm capable of doing myself.

Alex