[DECtalk] Access 32 Legality Questions

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Tue May 10 18:57:21 EDT 2011

Hi,

Unfortunately, as far as I know there is no way to make a copy of the
Access32 protected disk. Certain versions of Jaws used a protection system
called Quella. Those disks could be copied if you knew what you were doing.
However, the only copy of Access32 I ever saw used a protection product
called Everlock. I never found any way to make a faithful copy of an
Everlock disk.

As for getting your authorization off the old laptop, have you checked that
the floppy is not write protected? If so, the floppy could be bad, in which
case that copy is no good any more. Please note, just copying the actual
authorization files from the old hard drive to one on any other computer
will *not* work. If you can figure out a way to get the uninstall process to
complete successfully, there may be a way for you to, shall we say, regain
your two lost authorizations. This would need to be done in DOS, since I
think most if not all Everlock disks I saw included DOS tools as well as
Windows ones. There's a program I have called Unlimited Installer. The way
it works is, it diverts all hard drive writes to a RAM buffer. So you have
the authorization installed, run the program, then uninstall the
authorization. Now you reboot. Since the hard drive never got written, the
authorization is still there, as well as on the floppy. But none of that
will be worth a hill of beans if you can't get the uninstall to work.