[DECtalk] Access 32 Legality Questions

Alex H. linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com
Tue May 10 18:05:42 EDT 2011

Hi Michael,

On 5/10/11, Michael Hansen <amtk62 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a couple questions regarding legal use of Access 32:
>
> Is it legal to install Access 32 from a Kurzweil 1000 CD without an
> authorization disc, since it pretty much installs regardless of
> whether there is one present or not?  I have access to a Kurzweil disc
> from school (that kind of software is distributed to students for
> free) but there is no DECtalk authorization disc.  DECtalk Access 32
> is there on the disc, and it installs regardless of whether there is
> an authorization disc or not.

I would imagine it's fine, seeing as it just installs. The problem is
when software venders state that a certain program can only be used in
conjunction with their product. Then again, people probably use the
SAPI4 version of Eloquence with NVDA by installing K1000 and not using
the scanning at all, so I guess it's kind of moot.

Alex