[DECtalk] Access 32 Legality Questions

Michael Hansen amtk62 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 18:00:52 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

I have a couple questions regarding legal use of Access 32:

Is it legal to install Access 32 from a Kurzweil 1000 CD without an
authorization disc, since it pretty much installs regardless of
whether there is one present or not?  I have access to a Kurzweil disc
from school (that kind of software is distributed to students for
free) but there is no DECtalk authorization disc.  DECtalk Access 32
is there on the disc, and it installs regardless of whether there is
an authorization disc or not.

Also, I have a copy of Access 32 from GW Micro that my parents
obtained in 2002.  I have one authorization left (the others were lost
due to computer crashes) and it is on an old HP laptop.  For some
reason, when I go to transfer the data back to the copy protection
disc, it will not work.  I haven't tried it in several months, but I
recall a write error of some kind.  Assuming I am unable to find a way
to get that copy protection off that laptop, is there a legal way I
can get around the authorization since I *do* own the product?  I've
tried contacting GW Micro, and they were no help.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael