[DECtalk] Any news?

Blake Roberts beroberts at hughes.net
Wed May 4 16:52:45 EDT 2011

Thanks everyone for the feedback thus far about the SAPI Dectalk version
referred to as 4.3. Keep it coming! You guys have come to some of the
conclusions that Snoopi and I have experienced as testers.

The current SAPI Dectalk definitely needs fixing. As a number of list
members have said, most of the voices sound awful.  I understand that some
list members find SAPI Dectalk to be somewhat acceptable, as each
individual has the right to his/her own oppinion. I think most of us agree
there is room for improvement prior to release and wide acceptance.

There's something else that I think all of you should be aware of. Work has
been done on a speak window of the SAPI Dectalk 4.3. Like SAPI Dectalk, the
speak window definitely needs improvement. There are two reasons for this.
First, there is no spken message when an error is encountered, such as when
Dectalk stops singing. For those of us who are blind, this presents a
serious problem because we don't know exactly what the error is or where it
is. The second Speak Window issue is that there are no keyboard shortcuts
yet for play, stop and pause. The addition of keyboard shortcuts was
previously pointed out to a programmer involved. Snoopi and I were told the
aforementioned keyboard shortcuts are in the works.

As a long-time Dectalkist, I am uncertain if the SAPI Dectalk can be made to
sing on its own. It is possible that us blind people will need to make
Dectalk sing using the Speak Window, as has been the case in years past. As
I've said, both SAPI Dectalk and the speak window can benefit from
improvement.

If any list members would like to test out the speak window, write me off
list and I will send it as a zip file. For people on Gmail, I'll come up
with some other compression method, such as 7-zip. I am making this offer to
share the speak window because I think you all need to know about both items
that  need fixing.
Blake