[DECtalk] DECtalk for Linux - i have it

lowell at mrprange.com lowell at mrprange.com
Thu Feb 24 21:55:56 EST 2011

I managed to purchase the Linux run-times from Fonix before they
became unavailable for $50. I managed to use them on the command line.
I've written a couple scripts for them. One script makes mp3 files to
transfer to a portable player. Another works through a queue of text
files in a folder, resuming play wherever I left off. I also got it to
work with KTTmgr but never emacspeak, orca or speakup.

Lowell Prange

www.podbooks.org

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:42:11 -0500, Alex H. wrote:

> Here's the skinny on the Linux DECTalk:
>
> Digibuy.com, where
Fonix used to sell DT, is dead. I've emailed a few
> different contacts
at Fonix, nothing. They disown DECTalk now I guess,
> and it's one prime
example of fine software fallen into abandonware
> because of lazy
companies. FonixTalk hasn't ever been ported to Linux
> I think, and
either way it sucks compared to DECTalk anyway, so that's
> not an
option for us DECTalk Linux users.

> Seems like there's some issues
with hardware dectalks and Linux too
> that people should try and fix
and are just don't want to/have moved
> on from DECTalk etc. I
personally lov espeak but know a lot of people
> who hate it, and
DECTalk being revived on Linux would be pretty nifty
> for a lot of
people.

> Alex
>
> On 2/24/11, Brandon Misch wrote:
>> o i see. how
are things going with sapi dctalk? On Feb 24, 2011, at 5:41 PM,
ebruckert Bruckert wrote:

>>> Since I was never a Linux user
myself, and NA have to try to scrape the rust my brain and break through
the cobwebs. On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Brandon Misch wrote:
that's good what ever happened to it? On Feb 24, 2011, at 10:56 AM,
ebruckert Bruckert wrote:

> [...]
at 8:40 AM, Brandon Misch wrote: i thought there was a dectalk for linux
at one time. On Feb 24, 2011, at 7:12 AM, Corine Bickley wrote:

> [...]
look into the possibility. Snoopi Botten, Enable's Chief Communications
Officer, will keep you posted on our progress. corine bickley On Thu,
Feb 24, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Tony Baechler wrote:

> [...]
know I'm not the only one interested in this. I and someone else are
looking for a software DECtalk for Linux. There used to be TTSynth, but
the site, ttsynth.com is dead. Unfortunately, Linux can't use SAPI
voices. There is a community of users using Speakup and Gnome Orca which
are screen readers for Linux. They don't like the ESpeak voices. While I
can tolerate ESpeak and I have a serial port, Orca can apparently only
use software speech unless you use different speech drivers. I would
very much like to get a software DECtalk that works with both Speakup
and Orca. I'm not a programmer and I have no idea what the technical
issues involved are, but I know that it's completely different than
SAPI. I also know it can be done because TTSynth sold for when it was
available. Apparently, there is software called Speech Dispatcher which
acts as a speech server and connects the client, like Speakup to the
software synthesizer, like Festival or ESpeak. There's a program called
a connector which gets the speech from the synthesizer to the client or
something. I'm unfortunately really not that familiar with the details.
If any of the developers could either contact me privately or join the
Speakup list, they could get lots of feedback. The Speakup developers
would be the ones to ask about the connector and Speech Dispatcher. I
would be happy to test a Linux version. I'm running Debian testing. You
can contact me at tony.baechler at gmail.com [1]. The Speakup list is at .

Links:
------
[1] mailto:tony.baechler at gmail.com