[DECtalk] DECtalk NVDA experimental driver for DECtalk USB

Alex H. linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 17:56:41 EST 2011

Greets to the list:
Well after two weeks or so after getting the dev manual from Axsol,
I'm happy to announce a driver for the DECtalk USB for use with NVDA.
It works in USB mode, no express yet. Probably won't add that as I use
USB mostly. I can't claim total credit to the driver, got help of
course.
To obtain the driver go here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4425568/nvPlugs/dtusb.py?dl
In an installed version of NVDA, stick the file in %appdata%\NVDA\synthDrivers
IN a portable setting, use the path nvdaMainFolder\userConfig\
synthDrivers
Report any bugs or requests to me directly to stop cluttering the
list, or do it, I don't really care. <grin>
Enjoy!
NOTES:
-This driver requires the DECtalk  USB Windows driver to be installed,
or nothing will happen, and it will not show up in the list of
available synthesizers. This can't be changed and is expected.
-DECtalk USB may be quiet at first initialization of the driver.
Volume gets set to 50 automatically, so please adjust accordingly
using NVDA's voices settings dialog or the synth settings ring
directly.
Now, have fun!