[DECtalk] INtro and Question

Blake Roberts beroberts at hughes.net
Tue Aug 2 15:48:18 EDT 2011

Hi Doris,
Welcome to the Dectalk listserv! I hope you enjoy your time here.

To answer your question about using Dectalk Access32 with Jaws 11/12...  In
May of this year, list member Alex Hall found a workaroundfor getting DT
Access32 working with Jaws. I saved his message in my inbox and am pasting
it below my name.
Blake

I've found a workaround to get DECTalk Access32 working with JFW.

WARNING WARNING WARNING: This isn't complicated, but it could leave you with
no speech if you're not careful and set up another voice profile or don't
have NVDA to fall back on.

1. You should really do this with an older version of JAWS if you have any
installed, or use NVDA or System Access, or even narrator to do these steps
to avoid conflicts.

2. Assuming you've already tried to have Access32 set up as a voice profile,
just select that using insert-ctrl-s, and then the profile name for DECTalk
access32.

3. Open the start menu, Programs or All programs, Jaws 10/11/12, Explore
Program Files.

4. Navigate to the Drivers\speech\eloq subdirectory.

5. Rename eloq.jls to something else like "evil_eloq.jls"
Alternatively, you can simply move the file to another location.

6. Reboot JAWS. You should now have DT access32 speech! Worked for me.

Note: I am not responsible for any outcome of this, use at your own risk.
However, if something doesn't work you can always just rename the file back
to eloq.jls and things are good again.

I haven't tested to see if the Eloquence voice profile is saved if you
rename it back, but I don't use eloquence anyway, so...

Enjoy and good luck!

Alex