[DECtalk] DECtalk On NOAA Weather Radio

Michael Hansen amtk62 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 18:24:50 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of the DECtalk historians out there could give
me some info about the version(s) of the software that were/are used
on the National Weather Service's NOAA Weather Radio?  It was some of
these implimentations that got me interested in DECtalk.  Many NOAA
Weather Radio stations have completely phased out the DECtalk synth in
favor of RealSpeak Solo, but DECtalk can still be heard on some
stations.
I listened to NOAA Weather Radio back in the days of full-time
DECtalk, and I noticed differences in speech and configuration.  For
example, some stations used the Harry voice, while others used Paul.
Some versions of Paul had a wider inflection/pitch range than others,
and some pronounced things (like numbers) slightly differently.
What I am wondering is...does anyone know roughly what versions of
DECtalk were used in these implimentations?  I'll try to make some
recordings and pass them along to indicate what I am talking about
with the pronunciation changes.

Thanks,
Michael