[DECtalk] DECTalk 5.0?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Tue Aug 24 10:12:24 EDT 2010

Well, long before I even wanted my first PC, I knew Dec-Talk was what I would
like.  In 1994 I got a DecPC with OpenBook.  In late 1997 I began useing Jaws
with it--and-around 2004 I began a switch to Linux.  I got a Dec-Talk U S B-and
right now I think only emacsspeak, Jupitor, and Speakup have support, however,
so far no exception dictionary in Speakup.  The U S B sounds a bit different.
Cannot tell you exact wpm  but I have Speakup set on 7 with pitch 147.  Funny,
the gal I am dating cannot really understand my DecTalk, however, she has
little trouble understanding Eliquence.
I for one enjoyed the National Weather Radio Stations when they were running
DecTalk, however, in my view, unless you are useing Perfect Paul, other voices
are lame.  Many other less expensive synthesizers I cannot even understand.
Hart