[DECtalk] Status of the archive

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Sep 27 02:37:49 EDT 2009

Hi,

Well, Mbrola is free, high quality and easily accessible since it's
command line only.  The problem is learning the phonemes.
Unfortunately, I think documentation is lacking and I don't know how
well it works in Windows.  For casual text to speech it doesn't work
very well, but it can sing if one takes the time to learn the phonemes.
It can speak several languages.  If you have ESpeak installed, it will
show you a sample of the Mbrola phonemes which you could use to
experiment with and perhaps make it sing.  ESpeak does run in Windows
and Linux but doesn't have the best quality voice and is difficult for
people uncomfortable with the command line.