[DECtalk] Mbrola RE: Status of the archive

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Sep 25 02:00:36 EDT 2009

Yes, there's a Windows version.  I didn't mention it for a few reasons.
First, I've never used it and I don't know how stable it is.  Second, it
doesn't work with SAPI and doesn't generate speech from text like most
synthesizers.  Third, since it requires phonemes in its own format, it's
complicated to learn and isn't something of interest to the casual
user.  The only easy way I know of to get speech out of it without a
hassle requires Linux.  You use ESpeak, a free synthesizer for Linux and
Windows to generate the Mbrola phonemes.  You pipe the output into
Mbrola itself which can either talk or output to a wave file.  I'm not
sure if Windows can handle that or not.  Also, Mbrola is fairly old and
has restrictions on use.