[DECtalk] Major changes at the DECtalk archive

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Oct 1 01:33:27 EDT 2009

Hi all,

If you take a look at http://dectalk.goldenaudio.net/ you'll see that
I've made some major changes to the archive.  For the most part, nothing
was deleted but almost all of the directories were moved around.  Below
are some of the changes:

1. I cleaned up the /text directory.  Almost all files now have a .dec
extension and I changed most filenames to lower case.  In theory,
installing the PlayDEC program and associating .dec files with it should
let you automatically play them from Windows Explorer.  That has not
been tried yet but it should work.  The files that still have a .txt
extension are probably duplicates.  I'm looking for a volunteer to go
through them and make sure.  I would like to get the dupes cleaned up
because I'm planning to have a zip file of all the .dec files for easier
downloading.

2. I moved all the individual artist directories out of the root and
into their own /artists directory.  I also removed the spaces, corrected
the case as necessary and replaced the spaces with underlines.  For
example, the "Blake Roberts" directory has now moved to
/artists/Blake_Roberts.  Hopefully it makes for a less cluttered
appearance and things are easier to find.

3. I created two new directories and moved files around.  Now, all the
DECtalk related software, manual, etc is in the /dectalk directory.
That's also where playdec.zip is.  The /dectalk/software directory has
versions 4.3, 4.4 and others not from GW Micro.  The GW_Micro directory
has now moved and is under the \dectalk\software directory.  The files
from GW Micro are different sizes and have different contents.  The
DECtalk PC manual moved from the /text directory to the /dectalk
directory.  I also created \dectalk\examples which has various example
files.

5. I created the /synthesizers directory.  That's mostly the same as the
old hardware synth demos but also includes some files that were in other
places, like in misc.  I created /synthesizers/software_demos which is
currently empty but will hopefully contain demo files of software
synthesizers such as Eloquence, etc.

What's still left to do:

1. go through all the artist directories and delete adult and illegal files
2. eliminate dupes in the /text directory
3. create basic web pages giving some background
4. go through the misc directory, do some cleaning and create a new
README file

As always, suggestions are welcome, especially on the new structure.  If
you can't find something or it seems confusing, post here and let me
know.  I'm still not 100% decided on upload procedures but feel free to
contact me if you want to upload anything.  I'm especially looking for
synthesizer demos, more on that in the next message.

Tony Baechler, DECtalk archive maintainer
tony at baechler.net