[DECtalk] DECtalk Archive currently unavailable

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Tue Mar 17 18:52:58 EDT 2009

Hi,

     No problem. I think, by shutting down access to the archive, I've got
the situation under control. Snoopi, it wasn't all you. There have been a
person or group of people who, it seems, download the same files over and
over and over again, day after day after day. While your repeated uploading
was part of the problem, it wasn't all of it.
     Bandwidth can have two meanings. The one most of us are familiar with
has to do with how much data can be sent or received at a time through any
given connection. The higher the allowed or possible bandwidth, the more
data that can fit in the pipe, thus the faster any given file will transfer.
Another use of the word means the amount of bytes received or transmitted.
This is what hosting providers mean when they charge for bandwidth. They
count the bytes the server receives and the bytes it transmits. Then, when
they bill you, if you're on a fixed bandwidth plan, they check to see if
you've exceeded the number of bytes specified in your plan. If your
bandwidth is not fixed, but it's metered, they charge for the bandwidth you
use. For example, when I uploaded the archive to my new server in early
November, it took about 1.6 gigabytes of bandwidth to do so. Since then, the
archive has unfortunately used up a disproportionate amount of bandwidth
from people downloading like crazy. So Snoopi, while you did contribute a
bit to the problem, as would anybody who uploaded to the archive, that's not
the whole story. Hope this clarifies things.