[DECtalk] Dectalk archive is gone!!!

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Aug 2 12:53:52 EDT 2008

Hi,

Sorry for coming in late on this, but I have two thoughts.  First,
please look at rsync (1).  I know it is in the Gentoo Portage system
because I compiled it.  It runs on both Linux and Windows and is
designed to only mirror new files from an archive site.  For example,
say I have almost all of the archive but am missing the last month of
new files.  It will only download what I'm missing and allows me to keep
my mirror exactly the same as your master.  Obviously, you're right that
1.3 GB is a lot no matter how it is moved but it would only need to be
downloaded once from the master server.  I should warn you Windows users
that it isn't the easiest program to use or set up, but it can be
automated and isn't too bad once you get used to it.

My second thought is that a torrent would be good.  I am still
interested in mirroring the archive as I have offered again and again
several times.  A torrent is relatively simple to use and might help
overall archive popularity and bandwidth usage.

Regardless of what's decided (I'm just now reading this so I'm behind) I
would ask Jayson to please contact me off list about getting rsync set
up so I can have my own private mirror at least.  I've lost my copy of
the archive and right now I don't have anything.  I would consider
making my mirror public once I get a full copy.  Also Jayson, even if
you don't want me to mirror everything, I have no such limits as you
have on your sendspace account so perhaps I could set up something on my
ftp server.  Again, please contact me and look into rsync.