[DECtalk] Dectalk express

Ryan Hutchings RyanHornibrook at aol.com
Thu Sep 20 06:10:24 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I am new to the list. I use a dectalk express synth and I am having problems
with the unit.

I have the following problem with my dectalk.

When sending files to the dectalk express using the dos copy command, the
file is partially sent to the dectalk express, but then the dectalk suddenly
stops

speaking. The only way to get it to continue is to send another file which
causes the dectalk to finish reading the other file and then starts reading

the next file you send.

It appears to be an indexing problem.

Also when I use a screen reader such as jaws for dos, when output is sent to
the unit (such as output from the dir command, some of the output is lost
(speech

stops half way through reading the output.

Could this simply be a fault in the serial cable, or is this a problem with
the internal components of the dectalk unit?

I have tried upgrading the firmware of the unit, but this did not solve my
problem.

I have never experienced this problem with previous dectalk expresses.

Is there anyone on the list who knows how to repair these units? I am in the
uk - so if possible, is there anyone in the uk (if the repairs can be done
locally this will minimise breakage of the unit during posting).

Thanks

Ryan Hutchings