[DECtalk] DTC01 manual and Fonix Runtimes for Linux

Lowell Prange lowell at schat.com
Wed Sep 5 20:43:35 EDT 2007

Interesting project.  I found nothing trying to google if anyone has looked at these files with a hex editor.
It seems to me simplest to just use the device for speech and put another device on the same phone line for generating DTMF tones.

I was wondering if there were any other users out there that used the Dectalk Linux Runtime libraries frm fonix.  I have a couple scripts I wrote that
might be of interest.

1. An ebook reader that remembers progress.  (text files are copied into a folder and destroyed by the script as they are read.  making the program act
like it bookmarks a reader's place)

2. converts texts to mp3 files for portable devices like ipods

3. I also managed to get KDE's built in speech to use the runtimes.  This seems pretty easy.  But it might be a good idea to add the documentation to
the right place.

     I know this list has been dead for a while, but I won a DECtalk DTC01
on eBay and should be getting it today. Amazingly, I've found what I believe
to be a user guide and a programming manual for this beast, but it's in .lpr
files, some Vax VMS format. There are also .ln3 files which look like pure
garbage, and someone else has found out that those are probably raw control
data files for a DEC laser printer. Does anybody know how to convert these
.lpr files to text, or know of anyone who might? I'd love to know how to
program stuff like the telephone interface!