[DECtalk] speech rate

Matthew Horspool matthew at thehorspools.com
Fri Oct 5 12:40:04 EDT 2007

Hi,

Alex Parks wrote: "I tried the ones zipped in the 4.3 file and, even after
recompiling, they do nothing."
Have you tried pressing CTRL+SHIFT+P, CTRL+SHIFT+A and CTRL+SHIFT+S?  They
should press the Play, Pause and Stop buttons for you.

"Ins-q says "default settings are loaded"."
Yeah, I know about that one.  Those scripts were developed by Sean Randall
and Graham Pierce several years ago and they're a little on the dirty side.
They work, but little things like that are missing.

"Also, how can I adjust the pitch of a voice during reading with a command?"
The command to change the pitch is
[:dv ap 122]
(122 is the the default).  DV stands for "Define Voice" and AP stands for
"Average Pitch".

Katie Madison wrote: "Your version of jaws may be too new to work with the
scripts."
I doubt it, to be honest.  They don't use many functions and they all still
exist in later JAWS versions; if they didn't, Alex should not have been able
to compile them.

Jayson Smith wrote: "Also, it's strictly mono, so in order to get any stereo
effects, once again you'll have to use a multi-track editor."
For the best results.  However, the program does contain commands for stereo
imagery.  As I said before, though, they mess with the computer's stereo
imagery, so they're not recommended.

Matthew