[DECtalk] Help with Jaws 7, video card, and XP Pro

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Thu Oct 4 18:11:06 EDT 2007

Hi,

     Yes, I know this message is off-topic, and for that I'm sorry. But I
really need some help with this one. Here's the situation.

     System running XP Pro and Jaws 7 working perfectly. Today we installed
an M-Audio Delta 1010LT soundcard. Booted the thing up and... Dialog about
having to restore registry files from a backup, but more importantly,
sighted assistant can't read the screen, there are four copies of everything
on the screen and they're all bleeding through, that's how she described it,
very little is readable. It's been God knows how long since we've had a
screen on this system, so I have no idea when this problem popped up. The
system is only about three years old though. Go into control panel, now
screen is pitch black except for a small bar of color at the top. Try many
different things, don't remember all of them. Finally I got the bright idea
to reinstall video drivers, it's an on-motherboard video adaptor, so just
had Windows do it. Install, reboot, and... Same problem, and now, Jaws isn't
intercepting video properly, so no Jaws. I have no Jaws, and she has no
video. I run the Jaws setup, human speech comes on and says it made some
setting adjustments. Reboot and she has video, we have no Jaws. Try many
different things, all sorts of driver reinstalls for the video adaptor,
still no go. Installing video intercept for Jaws over and over and over
again, no go. Tried a total uninstall and reinstall of Jaws, hoping and
praying, but nope. Also, now the screen is using very low resolution and
color depth, and we can't change it to reasonable values E.G. 1024X768,
32-bit colors.
     I know of two things to try. 1. Get a new video card and install it. If
we do that, what cards work well with Jaws, and/or what should be avoided at
all costs? Or, 2. Completely reinstall XP. Has anyone had any similar
experiences, and which of these options would you recommend, assuming
something's not totally fried on the motherboard or something?
Thanks for any help!