[DECtalk] speech rate

Matthew Horspool matthew at thehorspools.com
Thu Oct 4 16:51:55 EDT 2007

Hi,

Alex Parks wrote: "1.  How do I change the speed of the speech?"
The DECtalk command to do this is
[:raxxx]
for example
[:ra180]
is the default.  You can also use the Scroll Left and Scroll Right symbols
on the bottom of the DECtalk demonstration program window.  I am working on
some JAWS Script improvements for that application to make various things
work a bit better, the rate adjustment being one of them.

"2.  Can I have speech along with a wav file, or do I have to wait for the
wav file to end?"
You have to wait for the wav file to end.

"3.  Can I have multiple wav files play at once, or other combinations like
a tone and a file, speech and a tone, and so on?"
No.

"4.  ... What is the command to "dial" a number?"
[:dial<123a456b789c*0#d>] (I think).

"5.  Is there a way to adjust the balance, like having two voices, one
speaking from slightly right and the other from slightly left...?"
Yes, but goodness knows how.  I have a really old, and I mean really old,
demo.txt file lying around somewhere on this drive which shows how to do it.
If I can find it I'll certainly share it.  All I can remember is that it
affects the wave device in volume control; it won't only affect DECtalk,
it'll also affect other audio such as your screen reader.

Matthew