[DECtalk] Why are there so many variations of Dec Talk Sound?

Brent Harding bharding at doorpi.net
Wed May 30 21:21:18 EDT 2007

It seems these days I've heard more variations of Dec Talk than I ever did
in years ago. I know 5.0 is where they messed it up, but it seems that
various modern implementations sound different than others. Why, for
instance, does Mobile Speak seem to be the worst, Window-Eyes isn't too bad,
and other modern products fall somewhere in between? Are device and software
manufacturers able to, and are, changing the way it sounds? I understood
there to be 2 different ways Dec Talk sounded, but I believe I have heard
more variations.