[DECtalk] Vocal Writer

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Mar 5 03:15:39 EST 2006

Hi.  I'm not going to start a copyright debate on the list, but this
is totally wrong, especially in the US.  It really doesn't matter
whether the original text, music, or a combination thereof is being
used.  It still violates US copyright.  Australia just changed laws
so it would violate their laws also and that's where planetmirror is
hosted.  Likewise with most of Europe.  There is apparently some sort
of exception for the UK but I don't have details.  Since Jayson is in
the US, he has to follow US law.  The copyrighted songs shouldn't be
on the archive at all, but it's probably OK if it's only for
noncommercial, personal use.  That would exclude planetmirror.  Also
we have the adult issue.  Each US state is different, but many places
don't allow extreme adult content.  I'm not familiar with the files
in question so I have no idea if they are adult or not.  I know that
Cox has a clause in their contract that they will cut us off for
anything obscene, adult, erotic, or anything else.  I'm guessing most
other DSL providers are similar and planetmirror is probably this way also.