[DECtalk] SETTING REGiSTRY SETTINGS

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 3 23:17:40 EST 2006

Hi,
Ok, first thing's first, the URL was wrong but it's fixed now.  The zip
extension on the file was in upper case and I didn't know it!  I changed it,
so the correct URL is the same, it's
http://www.bluegrasspals.com/dectalk/software/playdec.zip
Actually the Playdec program isn't needed with the 4.40 demo since it will
take a filename on the command line.  However, the 4.3 demo won't and so
Playdec is needed if you wish to do similar things with it.  Playdec is also
very useful if you are experimenting with different demo versions, as you
just associate the files in Windows with playdec.exe then just change
playdec.ini to point to the new program.  All the demo programs you're
playing with do have to be in the same directory but for me that's no
problem.
As for a command prompt, as it turns out you aren't out of luck, not by a
long shot!  Please check out www.jpsoftware.com.  They have two products
called 4NT and Take Command.  These are command lines for Windows.  It's
just like having a DOS box open except that these are actual Windows
programs that give you a c:\> prompt and let you type in all your old
beloved commands and have lots more to offer!  The programs do cost but I'm
pretty sure they have trial copies available.  So definitely check that out!
Finally, my name is Jayson Smith.
Jayson.