[DECtalk] MAC

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Feb 28 03:08:57 EST 2006

Hi,

You could try Wine, a Windows emulator.  I think it only runs under
Linux, BSD and other *nix operating systems, but I know the Mac OS X
is based on BSD so it might work.  Also it requires X11 which is a
GUI for the above operating systems.  As far as accessibility for the
blind, I don't know much about it but I've not heard of anyone using
Wine so I wouldn't plan on it.  Another option, albeit probably more
expensive and difficult is to set up a virtual PC on the Mac.  You
might need a PowerPC chip for that since the PC uses Intel
processors.  You could then run Windows natively under an emulated
machine.  Finally, you could see if there is a generic C program
which lets you access the same functions as the hardware, then you
just compile it for Mac and you're done.