[DECtalk] new to the list

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Feb 27 03:22:10 EST 2006

Hi.  I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you here.  First, the
point of compiling a program in the first place is so that the source
isn't easily apparent.  If it was possible to just randomly
disassemble software, we wouldn't need the GPL, BSD, Linux or any
other open source project.  I could just take the Windows kernel,
crack it, invent my own version and release it as the free kernel or
something.  It obviously doesn't work that way.  Also, remember a
previous discussion about emulating the Echo on the Apple II?  The
problem is the same in both cases.  The Echo is a chip on a card that
goes into the computer.  The DEC-Talk is a separate
computer.  According to the manual, it has its own
microprocessor.  So, even if they had the firmware, it wouldn't do
them much good.  It's a nice thought though.  Considering that it
keeps getting sold, it's no surprise to me that they don't have the
4.40 source, or won't release it if they do.  Personally I would like
to see a good, high quality open source synthesizer, either using
already existing hardware such as the DEC-Talk or easily programmable
software with good speech quality.  I'm not interested in what's
already out there for free, it all sounds like crap and won't sing
very well if at all.