[DECtalk] Reminder about uploading files

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Feb 3 03:07:02 EST 2006

Hi,

I would like to suggest that you change your email upload policy.  I
can understand why this is best for you but most sites only require a
text file explaining what is uploaded.  Part of the reason why I
never bothered to upload what I have is because I'm too lazy to send
you email.  With a secure ftp server in place, there is no reason to
make email a requirement.  I'm going to write a README file anyway,
so why do I want to email you as well?  Also, many people would
rather upload anonymously and don't want to give out an email
address.  It's easier to just upload a mp3 file with a text file
explanation rather than trying to launch an email client and find
your address.  I don't think even ftp.ifarchive.org enforces this as
much now although it's still in their README.  In fact, they have a
rather nice web-based php upload script people can use.

It is your archive and you're welcome to set the policies how you
want, of course.  I'm only making a suggestion.  It would be easy
enough to have it find all .txt or .TXT files in the upload directory
and email them to you if that's what you really want.  I know nothing
about php but maybe a web-based upload method might be better.