[DECtalk] A very interesting program

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 17 17:50:54 EDT 2006

Hi there,
Sure thing.  Now, before you say this synthesizer is a total piece of junk,
keep in mind the following.
1.  This is my first halfhearted attempt to make a voice.  For someone who's
never done anything like this before, and probably using less than optimal
recording conditions, I consider this pretty good.
2.  Even now, my voice is only about a quarter complete.  It wants you to
speak 1649 sentences, words, phrases and nonsense things.  I have spoken
about 450 of them.  Thus, while probably very few phonemes (speech sounds)
are totally missing, some could probably use help.
The URL for these samples is
http://www.bluegrasspals.com/modeltalker
There are three wav files.  Sample1 is when I'd recorded about fifty-nine
sentences.  Several phonemes were completely missing since I hadn't recorded
them yet, so there are some gaps in this speech.
Sample2 is when I'd recorded about two hundred and fifty things.  I think
only one phoneme was completely missing at this point in what I had it
speak.  It was better, but I think the third one is even better.
Sample3 is the way my voice stands right now, with about four hundred and
fifty things recorded.  No phonemes were missing in what I had it speak.
Please note, the license for these programs does not allow me to distribute
them to anyone else.  Thus, the actual program downloads will not be
available at my website.  Thanks for your understanding.
Enjoy!
Jayson.