[DECtalk] Updated 00readme.txt

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 4 05:36:27 EDT 2006

Hi,
I have updated 00readme.txt at the archive.  Here is the new section I
added.
Jayson.

IMPORTANT!  Bandwidth limiting enforced!
     Over the past while it has become clear to me that the DECtalk
archive was accounting for a high amount of traffic and bandwidth
usage on my residential DSL account.  Some times the DSL connection
for other computers would become so slow as to be intolerable.
Therefore, on April 2, 2006, I implemented bandwidth limiting.  The
DECtalk archive as retrieved from www.bluegrasspals.com now has a
limit of eight kilobytes per second bandwidth usage.  If you are on
a dial-up connection you may never notice the difference.  However,
if you are on a high-speed connection such as DSL, Cable or
Satellite you will definitely notice a big difference.  Files will
download a lot slower for you.  For this reason, you are highly
encouraged to do one of the following two things.
1.  Use a mirror of the archive which has existed for a few months
now.  Here are the URLs.
For HTTP, the URL is http://www.planetmirror.com/pub/dectalk
For FTP, the url is ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/dectalk
If asked for a username or password using FTP, simply use
"anonymous" or "ftp" without the quotes for your username, and it
doesn't matter what you put for a password.
2.  An alternative solution which helps is to use the Coral CDN.
This is a dynamic mirroring network which mirrors content as and
when people want it, so several downloads of the same content can
go a lot faster and conserve the original site's bandwidth.  To use
it, simply use the following URL for the archive.
http://www.bluegrasspals.com.nyud.net:8080/dectalk
Thank you for your understanding.