[DECtalk] Bandwidth limiting

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 2 19:22:39 EDT 2006

Hi,
Planetmirror hadn't been downloading new Vocalwriter stuff.  I used a Linux
command on that directory and the next time they ran their script they
grabbed new stuff from the Vocalwriter folder which had been added in late
February.  As far as I know the Planetmirror mirror is now complete.  The
Internet is going a lot faster with bandwidth limiting in place.  I really
hate to do this, and hope to find a way to avoid effecting portions of
bluegrasspals.com other than the DECtalk archive.  Note that, at present,
FTP access has no bandwidth limiting in force.  This is so Planetmirror
won't be effected, since they only grab what is new anyway.  On the subject
of which...
If any of you are running mirroring scripts to keep your own private or even
public mirror of the archive, please insure they are running correctly.  A
good mirroring script or program won't download a file when it already has a
copy of the exact same file.  It will download any given file if it has no
copy of the file or the file on the site being mirrored is newer or,
possibly, has a different length than that contained locally.  Also, if you
want to listen to a file many times, please download the file only once and
save it locally for later listening.  Please do not download a file over and
over and over just because you love it.  I know this is quite obvious, but
anybody who does that is hogging up bandwidth unnecessarilly.
Jayson.