[DECtalk] dectalk sapi interface

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Mar 10 21:54:54 EST 2005

Hi.  This is way off topic for this list, so I will keep my reply
short.  If you want/need more information, write to me off list.

I would say that many compilers are accessible.  The trick is knowing the
programming language.  Each BASIC dialect is different, for example, but
Applesoft BASIC and GW-BASIC are relatively similar.  QBASIC or PowerBASIC
are different but still share similarities with Applesoft.  Applesoft uses
line numbers while modern BASICs don't, and of course modern languages are
more powerful, but they still can be traced back to the roots of BASIC,
such as Applesoft or even earlier.

One very accessible and very portable compiler is gcc.  This is for the C
or C++ languages.  One advantage to using those is that they are
portable.  For example, gcc runs fine under DOS, Windows, or Linux.  The
DOS version is djgpp.  The Windows versions are a bit harder to download
and set up.  Cygwin is very good and has many tools found under Linux.  gcc
comes standard with most Linux distributions.

The point of all this is that which language or compiler you use doesn't
really matter in most cases.  Of course there are exceptions.  The more
important thing is to learn a programming language and then worry about a
compiler.  I didn't even cover the Pascal compilers for example.  Again,
write off list if you want more info on this.  Corrections from anyone are
welcome.