[DECtalk] dectalk sapi interface

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 8 19:55:15 EST 2005

Hi,
As for Digital buying back DECtalk, well I don't think that's ever going to
happen since Digital no longer exists.  Probably one of the reasons DECtalk
was sold in the first place is that Compaq bought out Digital.  Then later,
HP bought out Compaq!  What a mess!
As for getting your Express's firmware version, there are two ways.  Both
methods require the unit to be hooked up to a serial port where you can use
that port via something like Hyper Terminal.  Also, don't have your screen
reader using the unit under test, use Elloquence or something else.  Select
the com port where the unit under test is connected.  Set it to 9600 baud, 8
data bits, 1 stop bit and no parity.  Now there are two things you can do.
1.  Turn on the unit.  At power-up, it will send a short startup message
over the serial port which will include the firmware version and I think the
firmware date.
2.  With the unit already powered up and with the volume set so you can hear
it, send it the following line:
[:version speak]
The unit will speak the version number and date.
I can provide instructions for downgrading an Express if you want.  I think
I have the firmware file and can send it to you.  Note that this procedure
is completely safe even on a Force Dectalk Express unit.  As far as I know
the actual hardware's the same, it's just the firmware that changed.  I
would not recommend doing anything like this on a USB unit.  I have no idea
what type of firmware they use but suspect it would be totally different.  I
think it even uses a faster processor than the Express.  If you could even
get the update performed which is rather doubtful, you'd probably just make
the unit unusable.
Jayson.