[DECtalk] Ok, I'm confused now.

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Sun Mar 6 13:39:36 EST 2005

At 12:12 PM -0500 3/6/2005, Jayson Smith wrote:
>I just listened to the DECtalk USB demo.  While it's okay, I don't think it
>really sounds like the old Digital DECtalk we all know and love.  Which is
>rather confusing because I was a Freedom Box subscriber for a while.  At
>first they were using probably DECtalk 4.61 which really sucked.  Then they
>switched to something which I thought was version 5.  It sounded a whole lot
>like the old Digital DECtalk.  There were a few little querks, but it was
>pretty much back to the old way it was before FORCE got hold of it and
>messed it up.  Any thoughts?

Could have been v4.62 which Window-Eyes v4.5 ships with, and which
sounds [mostly] like the old Digital DECtalk.

For what its worth, if you feed v5.0 of DECtalk the *exact* voice
parameters as used in the Digital DECtalk, it sounds even more like
the Digital DECtalk than v5.0 sounds like out-of-the-box.

Note that the reference docs on the Fonix site have these parameters
listed incorrectly.  I extracted the correct ones out of the DECtalk
4.3 demo.

Apparently Fonix has felt it necessary to change some of the
parameters for the voices over time.  Why, I cannot say.

Its amazing that DECtalk has been basically a mature product since
1996 (the 4.3 demo was created that year).  Other than changes for
multi-lingual support and additional words added to the speech
dictionary, *nothing* with this synth should have had to change in
the nine years that have since elapsed.  <SIGH>

GUI Access