[DECtalk] dectalk sapi interface

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Sat Mar 5 23:25:25 EST 2005

At 7:07 PM -0800 3/5/2005, Tony Baechler wrote:
>Hi.  I thought I was clear on this before.  No, there is no such
>thing as a SAPI interface, period.  It isn't likely to happen soon.
>I have no idea how much the full developer edition costs but
>probably more than most people want to pay.  Please do me a favor
>and don't ask about this since there is no SAPI interface and
>probably never will be.  Corrections welcome of course, but my
>information comes from GW Micro.

I'm afraid GW Micro has not been entirely truthful:

http://www.fonix.com/products/dectalk

DECtalk 5.0 is SAPI 5.0-compatible according to the documents on the
above page.

Contact a Fonix representative for more info.

It is extremely dismaying that the "official" Fonix DECtalk page is
horribly out-of-date and poorly maintained.  For example, they only
have the same downloadable demos that they got from ForceComputers
(which suck) which contain version 4.61 of the DECtalk.

So mere mortals do not have the opportunity to hear the improvements
introduced in DECtalk version 5.0.  In addition, DECtalk is available
for *many* more platforms than those listed on the official site.
But I digress...  Download the reference documents and see that SAPI
is clearly mentioned.

Tony