[DECtalk] dectalk express firmware

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 16 16:59:43 EDT 2005

Hi,
If your firmware isn't 4.6CD, upgrade to 4.6CD.  This should solve your
power cycle problem.  One other problem exists, for which I know of no fix.
If you use, say, Windows 98, and you go into a DOS box and load DECtalk
Express drivers, then when back in Jaws when reading a long file or website
it stops and you have to restart the reading.  The fix for this is to turn
off the DECtalk and turn it back on before reading such a file or website.
Then it will read as long as there's something to read.  Once again, I know
of no fix for this bug.
Also, on Windows 98 Second Edition, there's a bug with com ports and power
management, such that the DECtalk Express DOS drivers don't want to load in
a DOS box under 98SE.  There is a fix for this though.  If anybody is having
this problem, let me know and I can supply the fix.
Jayson.