[DECtalk] dectalk express firmware

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 14 12:24:37 EDT 2005

Hi again,
I don't know what the difference is, but I think there are some bugfixes.  I
once had a DECtalk with an older firmware from I think August of 96.
Sometimes, for some reason, when reading a website it would just lock up.  A
power cycle was required to get it going again.  I upgraded to 4.6CD and the
problem went away.  So I'd recommend you stick with what you've got in there
right now.  Note that if you like the way your DECtalk sounds now, you do
not want to upgrade to the 4.6 versions from Force.  In the opinions of
several of us, Force took a DECtalk that was perfectly good and ruined it.
Fonix is trying to make it better but DECtalk 5.0 still sounds a bit weird.
If they'd ever give us a demo of the 4.6.3 version they recently announced
which is supposed to have what they call the 'Classic' voices, I'd love to
play with it.
Jayson.