[DECtalk] Latest Readme file for the archive

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Dec 27 03:18:16 EST 2005

Hello,

I know I'm a bit late on this discussion but would like to suggest a few
changes to the README file.

1. Both "anonymous" or "ftp" will work for login.

2. Most ftp clients including Internet Explorer do binary by
default.  Definitely say that binary mode is necessary but note that in
most cases this is done automatically.  It will confuse people otherwise.

3. You might want to mention that you can still list files in the incoming
directory but you can't download them.  You can verify if your upload is
complete or not.

4. Make sure it is obvious to change to the incoming directory first before
uploading.
5. You can copy and paste from Windows Explorer to IE for easier
uploading.  It isn't recommended to use IE since it is not a good ftp
client.  You should suggest an accessible ftp client to download.

Are you going to have a torrent of the archive?  If so, you can mention
it.  The .torrent files are small and someone might want them.  I
personally don't care but it might save your bandwidth.