[DECtalk] Read me file updated

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Aug 16 01:17:38 EDT 2005

Hello Nick.  Well, you've got to be kidding, right?  You can now get very
cheap servers with no bandwidth limits for very little.  You can get a
cable business account or DSL.  We pay $89 per month for a cable business
account.  Also, I know from someone else in the UK that they have a similar
arrangement with broadband accounts.  I am not saying that $89 per month is
cheap because it isn't, but you can easily run email and a few fairly
active sites without a bandwidth drain.  I know because that's what we are
doing.  We get 512 KBPS, which is about 51 k per second download speed.  I
am not offering to mirror the site because of legal concerns, but I think
that asking for a donation is not reasonable.

I've stated my opinion before and will do so again.  Since Andre has no
interest in DEC-Talk and Jayson has already been willing to be the primary
archive site, I think Andre should just close the site and let Jayson take
over.  I actually have something to upload but I am not going to because
I'm frankly tired of Nick's and Andre's complaints.  With the price of
domains being so cheap now, someone could buy dec-talk.org, have Jayson
take over hosting, and that would be better for all.  If people want to
mirror from him or if he wants to ask a mirroring service like
planetmirror.com to mirror, that could be considered.  In my own mind, as
far as I'm concerned the archive is dead anyway so it doesn't really matter
to me what happens.