[DECtalk] Mirror script disabled again

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Apr 22 22:44:48 EDT 2005

Hi Jayson.  There are two possible solutions.  One is to use wget, the
other is to use a different mirroring program.  I will address both below.

Yes, I know you don't want to use wget.  However, if you study the help,
there is a way to get it to not go above a certain directory level.  I
don't remember what it is.  Also it has commands built-in for mirroring.  I
used it to grab everything from your mirror.  I have mirrored other large
archives in this way too.  The main thing I don't like about wget is that
if one directory name changes, it gets everything all over again and eats
up way too much bandwidth and disk space.  There is a --no-clobber switch
which helps, but that just prevents files from being overwritten.

The second way is to use a program called Mirror.  It is written in perl
and can probably be found in CPAN.  I think the official site is either ftp
to sunsite.org.uk or src.doc.ic.ac.uk.  Either way, it is in the
/packages/mirror directory.  I looked at it once and didn't like it, but I
never actually used it.  I think wget works better if you take the time to
look at the help, besides it can run in the background.
Tony Baechler
Maintainer, goldenaudio.net (TM) online archives
http://goldenaudio.net/