[DECtalk] dectalk is offline

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Apr 5 03:10:35 EDT 2005

Hi.  Yes, you are correct that the texts are from and hosted in the UK.  No
argument there.  However, importing them into the US is illegal under US
copyright law.  Probably under UK law too, but I know nothing about UK
copyright laws, and you might be right that it's fine for personal use.  My
point is that the main archive can't be in the US because of the Red Dwarf
texts in particular.  The truth is that probably no one would care as you
said, the BBC in particular.  However, that does not change US law, and
many web hosts would care.  They or the BBC would be within their rights to
shut down the archive because of that.