[DECtalk] Username and password for DECtalk archive

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Apr 4 02:08:57 EDT 2005

Hi.  OK, I have also heard things about Andre which are not best discussed
here, besides I was asked to keep them confidential.  This is not the first
time that the archive issue has come up.  I really do understand where he
is coming from about donations.  I run two servers, so I do know how hard
it is to set up.  One of them is having serious bandwidth issues because I
did someone a favor.  It isn't that person's fault, but his files are too
popular and people download them like mad.  I am lucky that I haven't got
complaints from the particular provider.  My point is that whoever manages
the archive needs lots and lots of bandwidth.  I'm sorry to say this, but I
really don't think Jayson qualifies.  For one thing, as he said, bandwidth
is an issue for him right now.  For another, he is in the US so we will
have copyright problems.  Again, I'm sorry, but we need to deal with facts.

So what do I suggest?  I do not suggest donating to Andre.  Why?  Because I
don't think he will ever be happy with the archive.  This is based on
information that I have about him generally, and my own experiences with
running servers.  I think the best thing to do is find a site in Europe who
has the bandwidth and is willing to host the archive.  My preference would
be a UK site because of the Red Dwarf, but any European site would be
fine.  I would stay away from Australia because they have just passed
stricter copyright laws.  Canada would be fine also.  Asia would be OK but
in general is very, very slow.  I just thought of something.  Someone,
please visit these two sites and ask them to mirror the archive.  I think
they would and our bandwidth issues would be over.  We would still need a
main archive to mirror from, but that could still be handled by Andre since
everyone could be diverted to the mirrors.  In fact, just put on the index
page that this archive is no longer accessible except through
mirrors.  Look at these:

http://www.mirror.ac.uk/
http://www.planetmirror.com/

I am sure one or the other would mirror the archive.  I think planetmirror
is mirroring the asimov Apple II archive which is marginal in terms of
copyright.  Any thoughts?  Either way, I think we should really move the
main archive off Andre's site.  If someone could set up a server in Canada,
that might be best, or the UK.  Only let the mirror service access the main
site and make everyone use that mirror.  As I said, this would eliminate
both Andre and the bandwidth issue.  Another reason to eliminate Andre's
archive is because he doesn't care about it and would probably be happy to
be done with it anyway.